Sunday, January 26, 2014

Chicken Chili


Buried deep, waiting on Polar Vortex Episode II, I CRAVE COMFORT FOOD! But I'm also on my first full 24-Day Challenge post-baby. Must eat clean and I sure as heck don't need to fall back into making cornbread, using cheese, or lathering sour cream on my comfort food. So the Pinterest perusing began as I looked over white chicken chili recipes. For the most part, they all had some things in common, so I took those ideas and ran with what was in my kitchen. The biggest flavor factors for this are definitely the combination of chili powder, cumin and jalapeño. And please don't leave out the jalapeño! I can't deal with a ton of heat so I only used one, but at least use a half. It just helps warm it up just a touch! I'm not calling this "white" since I had veggies and kidney beans, but dang this is good chili!


____________________

Chicken Chili

2 chicken breasts
1 1/4 c. Dried bean/lentil/veggie mix
1 can pinto beans
1 c. peppers, diced (any or all colors)
1/2 red onion, diced 
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 c. Extra water (add as it cooks)
1 c. corn
1 jalapeño, diced (more or less to taste)

2 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. cumin
1-2 tbsp. oregano
2-6 cloves of garlic, diced

For chicken:
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder

Throw everything but the chicken and bottom 3 spices in the pot, stir together. Take bottom 3 spices and rub on chicken. Place chicken just in the water and let cook for 2-3 hours before stirring the pot. 

Cook in the crockpot on high for 4-6 hours.

_____________________

I'm in love! Better than ground turkey chili by far and lots of flavor so I didn't need toppers for it. New favorite stew by far. And it was THICK. So add more water if you need to! Why was I wasting my time trying to perfect turkey chili when this was waiting for me???

Also note: I used my no-msg chicken stock starter and 3 cups of water for the broth. But low-sodium broth should be just as flavorful!

Challenge-Friendly: YES. Full of protein. Pair with a side salad or extra veggies for more natural fiber.





No comments:

Post a Comment