Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Unwrapped Cabbage Rolls

This little ditty started because of two reasons. 1. I have a HUGE head of cabbage my mom gave me from her garden. 2. My gal, Andrea, posted a pic of hers on Facebook the other day and my mouth started watering! So she sent me over a pic of the recipe (which is wonderful as it stands) but y'all know me: I can't do anything according to the original recipe. The original has a small can of tomato paste added to it and was about twice the size (which is great if you want leftovers) but the hubs isn't a fan of "tomato" in the form of paste. So that got dropped ASAP.



I have to say, this totally tasted like hamburger helper (to me) but with cabbage which is 10000 times more awesome than pasta. Also, you can easily use ground turkey or chicken. I suggest adding extra cumin and maybe paprika if you do that during the browning stage. I stayed with a super lean ground sirloin (again, playing to the hubs "wants"). 

If you need a carb: add an extra cup of water and cup of brown rice when you put the tomotoes and cabbage in the pan to cook. I found this filling enough without it!

_________________

Unwrapped Cabbage Rolls

3/4-1 lb. of lean ground sirloin
1 small red onion - diced
1 tbsp. EVOO
2 tsp. garlic powder
OR 1 clove of garlic - minced

1 small head of white cabbage - chopped (about 2-3 cups-ish)
1 can diced tomatoes (I used organic and green chile flavor)
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 c. Water

In a deep frying pan, heat the EVOO and add meat, onions and garlic. Brown those puppies. 

When brown, add the can of tomatoes, more garlic (if you're into that), salt, pepper, cumin. Stir first, THEN add the cabbage and 1/2 cup of water. Cover and reduce temp to a simmer. Stir every 5 minutes to help incorporate the cabbage as it cooks down. Cook for 25-30 minutes. 

Eat that awesomeness!

__________________

SUPER SIMPLE. Clean and easy and filling and flavorful! And Alice didn't try it. BOOOOOOO! I think she would have liked it.

Challenge-Friendly: YES! Great for Cleanse and Max.

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to make this on Sunday; I'll let you know how it turns out! Thanks for sharing, Suz! P.S. Alice is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved it! This will be a fall/winter staple at my house... Also shared it with friends.

    ReplyDelete