Saturday, August 18, 2012

Asian Stir-Fry

So back when I did my original 24-Day Challenge, I tried to make lightly, slightly friend General Tao's Chicken. Um yeah, that didn't turn so well. The chicken was NOT that flavorful or good. BUT the flavor combo was actually pretty good. So, I decided to try to stir-fry without any coatings and THIS turned out pretty good. It was actually flavorful and moist enough to eat! I had looked at a jar of "chinese spice" at the store and it had 5 ingredients included: fennel, anise, cinnamon, ginger and red pepper. So I had 3 out of 5 on my shelf so I threw in the red pepper, ginger and cinnamon (I SWEAR I have anise somewhere but it's MIA). The cinnamon: total surprise but WOW I never had called out that flavor until I made this dish ... but next time you have chinese you might notice it now ;)

________________________________

Asian Stir-Fry

1-2 Chicken Boneless Skinless Breasts trimmed of fat and diced
1/2 Onion - sliced or chopped
2 cloves of garlic - minced or pressed
Ginger: Fresh Grated (about a 1/4") & Powder (2 tsp.)
1 tbsp. red pepper flakes
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tbsp. low-sodium soy OR liquid aminos (better choice)
Squirt of Agave
EVOO for the pan

Bag of frozen Stir-Fry Veggies
(broccoli, celery, carrots, mushrooms)
1/4 head of red cabbage - sliced, shredded
1/2 can of water chestnuts
1/2 cup bean sprouts

Warm up the oil in a big frying pan. Throw the garlic, fresh ginger and onions in the pan to start flavoring it. Throw in the chicken and mix it up. While it's cooking, add the ground ginger, pepper flakes, cinnamon, soy and agave. Cook the chicken through.

Throw in the frozen veggies to the mix and cook through. Add the cabbage, water chestnuts and sprouts at the end (you don't want to cook them as long as the veggies or else they get too soggy). Mix and cook until the cabbage is starting to wilt.

Serve as is or with brown rice.

________________________

I liked it as it was, but I did make up some Asian Peanut Sauce to go over ours. I thought it was overkill as it was more than flavorful enough to start. Dave loved it of course. I should have picked up some bamboo shoots and baby corn thingys, too. mmmmmmmm


Challenge Friendly: NO. Use only broccoli, celery and carrots. No mushrooms. Use fresh if you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment