Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Chicken and Veggie Pasta with Ghetto Pesto

So I needed to prolong the life of the meat I have in my house. I made up three chicken breasts via my Blanched Lime Garlic Chicken recipe, shredded all the chicken and portioned it out into 4 "meals."

Meal #1: chicken with pan roasted zucchini, summer squash and onions with whole grain rotini and ghetto version of pesto (you'll see why when you see the recipe LOL).

___________________________

Chicken and Veggie Pasta

1 zucchini - sliced
1 yellow summer squash - sliced
2 cloves of garlic - minced
2 slices of white onion - diced or halved
2 tbsp. EVOO for the pan

(optional: I add cajun seasoning for a touch of heat)

Heat the pan with the EVOO. Turn down to med-high heat. Add garlic and onions and let them warm up for a minute. Add zucchini and squash and toss around until they are cooked most of the way through. Throw in previously made chicken so it warms up. Finish and set aside.

1 cup of dry whole grain rotini

Make this up while you are roasting the veggies so you can toss in when the veggies and chicken are done.

____________________________

Ghetto Pesto Sauce

1/4 cup EVOO
2 cloves garlic - minced
2-3 tbsp. Basil (I use regular ole dried variety)
1/4 cup Parmesan (plain ole Kraft variety)
Few turns of cracked black pepper (or regular pepper to taste)

(See why I call it "ghetto?" Yeah, I don't have the fresh ingredients on hand and no pine nuts so this is what I have to offer! LOL)

Put it all in the processor. Blend it up. Pour over your awesome veggies, chicken and pasta!

_____________________________

This whole dinner fed me, Dave, Birdie AND Buddy (Who ate the crap out of it! Impressive for a 1-year old!) AND I have enough leftover for a dinner for the kids and I when we need it. Now that's extending my food supply!


Challenge Friendly: NO - cut the parm from the sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment