Friday, August 3, 2012

My Food-Stock

I started "posting" my food pics on Facebook when I switched my food-style back in April (2012). I had started blogging my menu at that time since I made an effort to switch to totally clean eating for the cleanse part at the beginning and it was tough to make fresh EVERYDAY but it taught me a lot about flavor combinations. I get asked once in awhile what I staples I keep in my kitchen, so here is an overview of the yumminess I generally have on hand and some tips!

Getting Ready

(previously posted on my Challenge blog)



1: Clean out your Fridge and Pantry!! I threw out 2 black trash bags of CRAP that we hadn't ate or was expired. This included cake mixes we never made, dip packages, sauces in my fridge that were old and mostly unused, old pasta, crackers, etc. Really: it was eye opening. What did I keep? A couple of mixes I might someday need in a pinch for brownies, spaghetti, pickles, A1 (I'm sorry, but sometimes you need the tang) and the list goes on. I kept condiments that are general and used most often. Removing temptation was necessary for me to succeed!

2: Buy Local! I shopped one of my local health food stores and picked up organic nuts for snacking and salads, bean soup variety mixes, quinoa, rice, oats, chicken stock starter with no whey or MSG, etc. Next, I somehow made it to the Saturday Farmer's Market with both kids and walked out with fresh veggies and ground turkey to use in meals this week. I didn't have enough arms for the fruit ... so I'll be going back on Thursday during lunch to pick up more supplies. I actually felt bad that I had to run to Meijer to pick up strawberries for my salad today. BUT I will have to get my fish from the grocery store because I'm not pay $18 per pound at the Market ... and I'm not catching my own and fileting it ... unless you want to filet it for me!

3. Just Be Aware of what you are buying. Just because it says "hummus" at the store doesn't mean that it's JUST a basic hummus. There are preservatives, hydrogenated oils, refined sugars and more in most packaged items you buy at the store. Shop smart!


My Current Kitchen

Spices!

Considering that we have cut a lot of sodium, spices are a great way to make sure my food has flavor. When combined with other enhancers (vinegars, oil, citrus) I can create almost any delicious dressing or marinade I need. I have a TON of spices on my shelf, so bare with me. I use many of them frequently and some I never had until a recipe called for it and now I find myself using on a regular basis.

Cumin (great for ground meat and hummus!), Coriander (fish mostly and sometimes chicken), onion powder (everything), Minced Garlic (Garlic Garlic is my fav from Tastefully Simple!), ground mustard, paprika, marjoram, curry, ginger, dill, basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, tarragon, red pepper flake, sage, red pepper, chili powder, black peppercorns (in the pepper mill). Those are my basic dish/meat flavors.

Baking-wise, I haven't used some of my spices in awhile :( But I keep the following on hand and use them in other dishes when needed: cinnamon, nutmeg, all-spice, anise, vanilla, cloves, pumpkin pie spice.

Now, I do have some salts left but only use them VERY rarely. Cajun seasoned salt, Lawry's (sorry but everyone needs it!), sea salt, non-MSG based chicken stock (health food store awesomeness!). Also, a low sodium soy sauce for asian sauces. I want to get Liquid Aminos but haven't found them in the store yet.

Sweeteners: my main sweetener is now agave but I do love honey! I have sugar and brown sugar on hand ... But the only time I have used any lately was a couple of weeks ago for my grilled chicken marinade and it was worth it!

Vinegars & Oil

Yeah, I have two oils in my house that get used: Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Tihini. Yes, I have spray oil but how often do I really need that?

OMG vinegar has seriously helped curb any sodium cravings I had in the beginning! And there is such a vast variety out there and each one enhances differently and I love it. On my shelf: white (I like the organic better than the plain mass-produced kind), red wine, balsamic (I always thought I hated it, but I love it now!), rice (again, amazed at the flavor difference), apple cider (regular), Bragg's Apple Cider (mmmmm!). There are others out there and when I run out, I do try different brands to help find favorites.

In My Pantry

I keep some very basic items around at all times when it comes to grains or canned items. Since I try to go unprocessed, my pantry is much less packed than it used to be! Also, I go organic when I can. Love my local health food stores!

Grains: quinoa, rolled oats, steel oats, rice, simple whole grain pastas, black beans, chickpeas, whole wheat flour, regular flour. As for "processed," we don't use bread anymore, so we buy the Sam's Club pack of Santa Fe Tortilla Co. Whole Grain Tortillas (100 cals, 6 carbs, 7 g fiber). And I keep fast-acting yeast on hand to make whole wheat pizza crusts.

Canned: I do get canned fruits for the kids to make sure I always have fruit on hand so peaches, mandarin oranges, pears - I buy light or in juice to keep the sugar/syrup down. I love diced tomatoes with green chiles and the Meijer brand ones are just fine. I also keep green beans and corn as back up.

Fresh: real garlic (I LOVE my garlic press), fresh ginger, uncut onions, bananas, organic peanuts/almonds/brazil nuts.

Other than that: you will find kids stuff like graham crackers, animal crackers, biscuits and mum-mums. LOL

In My Fridge

My refrigerator is always packed after I hit the store and it will last me up to two weeks! What I freeze (meat-wise) lasts us about a month.

My Veggie Must-Haves: lettuce mix (I like spring mix with spinach because you can pick out the spinach for a dish if you need to!), cucumber, zucchini, squash (when available), carrots, tomatoes, avocado (must have!), peppers (all 4 colors when I can! I slice them into strips and the just chop up what I need for a dish or snack on the strips), green onions (easy for salads). I buy the big bag mix of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots from Sam's and freeze it so I have fresh cut veggies on hand for steaming or roasting. Also I keep frozen corn and peas around.

Fruit: whatever is fresh! We usually have berries on hand of some sort. And I try to keep a mango around for mango salads. CITRUS!!! I always have lemons and limes on hand for cooking and dressings now.

Dairy: milk (for the kids), Greek yogurt, feta, eggs (love the ones from the Farmer's Market!), and sharp jack (because sometimes you need a different flavor). I was keeping almond milk around but I haven't been making oatmeal much lately so it keeps going bad.

Jarred/processed: yes we still have basic condiments like ketchup, mustard, ranch ... but we rarely, if ever, use them. Dijon mustard has been a favorite enhancer lately. Kalamata olives (Dave can't live without these anymore and we eat greek chicken at least once a week!), pickles, green olives, relish. Nothing really out of the ordinary here.

Meat: I buy bulk and freeze because it has been cheaper. If I make it to the Farmer's Market, I will buy fresh ground turkey or chicken. But lately it has been more efficient to buy at Sam's once a month, portion out, and freeze for the month. I get chicken breasts, ground turkey, fresh salmon and fresh talapia.

OMG I Think That's My Kitchen!

Wow. I think I just inventoried everything for you :( Well now you know why I can whip something up at the drop of hat! My meal planning has been seriously lacking lately so I end up just pulling a protein and veggies and whipping something up for dinner each day. I use the left over meat from dinner for salads the next day. And it helps that I work from home now so I can prep, get the kids from school and then make dinner when I get back.

As a note: yes, we have alcohol in the house! I will do a separate post on alcohol when the time is right, but please note that even with us eating better, we still indulge in certain items! Hey: we are only human!

2 comments: